The Importance of Differing Views

 black and white printed textile

Photo by Jon Tyson on Unsplash

    Recently I had the pleasure of listening to Dr. Robert George and Dr. Cornel West as they discussed their views surrounding political and ideological diversity. I appreciated their insightful responses as well as their ability to respectfully differ in opinion and build on one another to further an engaging dialogue. 

    There were two moments throughout this event that really stood out to me. The first of them stemmed from a question regarding the initiative that oppressed groups should take. While their responses differed at times, they both agreed on trying and upholding a democratic resolution. What they meant by this is that people should first turn to discussions prior to finding alternative solutions. 

    At first, I thought of how odd and incoherent of communication it must be for an oppressed group to confront their opressor. However, their next remark resolved this. They introduced something called the currency of communication. Just as we trade dollars and coins in the US, people can trade logic, arguments, and reasoning with one another. While certain remarks may be of greater value than others, both parties can gauge that value and come to an agreement. 

    In then end, I learned about the necessity of having dialogue and seeking a difference in opinion. Many people differ in opinions that we don't know about or never thought of. I for one would like to find out and speak to them. Thank you Jason for hosting this fruitful event.





Comments

Popular Posts

Organization of Affiliation

I plan to build on my work pertaining to the UN Goal on education by continuing my collaboration with the Boy Scouts of America via my capstone project. They can be found via this link: https://www.scouting.org/.